Motorcycle accidents in Florida have doubled over the last two decades. Reaching an average of 550 fatalities per year for the previous five years, equivalent to a 3% incremental increase.
Motorcycle accident injuries can be minor but are often serious because there isn't a whole lot of protection for the rider. If you sustained serious injuries in a motorbike crash, a Fort Lauderdale motorcycle accident lawyer may be able to help.
Should You Get a Fort Lauderdale Motorcycle Accident Lawyer After a Crash?
If your injuries are serious or if the insurance company is giving you the run-around, it may be a good idea to consult with an attorney. However, you may decide to avoid one if it's a minor injury. A Fort Lauderdale motorcycle accident lawyer can help you get fair compensation for all of your damages resulting from the wreck. Handling an insurance claim process as an individual may seem better, but you will probably get additional compensation through an attorney because they have experience with what types of expenses can be recovered in your injury claim.
Here are some situations where you may want to consult with a Fort Lauderdale motorcycle accident lawyer for your injury claim:
- The insurance company denies your claim. Insurance companies don't want to pay out huge settlements. They will try their best to deny the claim altogether to avoid paying out a large settlement.
- The insurance company does not want to cover all of your medical expenses. A motorcycle accident may leave you with a pile of medical bills. It's common for car insurance companies to try to avoid paying for medical treatment, leaving it up to your health insurance to cover. A Fort Lauderdale motorcycle accident attorney will fight for adequate compensation for your accident.
- The insurance company tries to downplay the severity of the accident. The insurance company may try to say that other activities caused your injuries, not the crash. A Fort Lauderdale motorcycle accident lawyer will help you collect suitable evidence to aid your case, such as a police report and medical bills.
- The insurance company offers a low settlement. Insurance companies are notorious for offering lowball settlements. They will try to persuade you with quick cash, but what happens if the money isn't enough to cover all your medical bills and lost wages? A Fort Lauderdale motorcycle accident lawyer will do their best to ensure all of your expenses that were caused by the crash are covered.
What Do You Do After a Motorcycle Accident in Florida?
Motorcycle accident injuries range from minor to fatal. Here are some critical steps an injured party should take after an accident:
- Call the police. Ensure the police arrive at the scene. They will record statements, conduct relevant interviews, acquire adequate insurance data and property damage assessments, and create a police report for all involved parties. A police report is invaluable for compensation claims.
- Request an ambulance. If you were seriously injured, you should have EMTs check you out on scene, and take you to the ER if necessary to further evaluate your injuries. These medical costs will increase the value of your injury claim.
- Get medical care immediately. The sooner you have your injuries checked and documented by a medical professional, the better. If you wait too long to be seen by a doctor, the insurance company may try to claim your injuries were unrelated to the accident.
- Take photos of the roadway and the vehicle. Always capture the visible parts of the damaged property, objects, and vehicle. If you notice any road debris or skid marks, capture them too. Ensure you are safe before taking accident scene photos. The last thing you want is to get into another accident because of an inattentive driver.
- Take photos of physical injuries. This helps to identify the impact of the accident. They are essential references because wounds and road rash heal.
- Don't speak with an insurance adjuster before consulting with an attorney. It's the insurance adjuster's job to save the company money, and they may try to get you to say something that will hinder your claim. With the help of a Fort Lauderdale motorcycle accident lawyer, you can be sure you won't say anything that may cause your claim to get denied.
- Do not post on social media profiles. Your insurance company can easily search and scrutinize your posts for accident-related information if you do. They will then use the findings against you.
- Seek further medical attention. After the emergency room aid, go for further treatment. Physical therapy especially can help you fully recover from your injuries.
- Contact a Fort Lauderdale motorcycle accident lawyer. Many personal injury lawyers offer free consultations, so it doesn't hurt to reach out and see what a legal professional has to say about your case.
How Do Motorcycle Accident Lawyers Work?
Especially in complicated cases with high medical bills, or an uncooperative insurance company, you should hire a lawyer to help you out when you fall victim to a motorcycle wreck that was caused by another driver's negligence. At VG Law, your Fort Lauderdale motorcycle accident lawyer can help with the following:
- Compensation. Injury attorneys have legal knowledge and experience from similar cases for what type of compensation you are eligible for. They also have experience in negotiating with insurance companies if they try to offer a low settlement.
- To oversee your legal claims process. The attorney will assist in gathering medical bills, receipts for vehicle repairs, long-term medical treatments like physical therapy, among other things, to build a strong claim. They will oversee the entire claims process from start to finish so you can focus on recovering.
How Can a Fort Lauderdale Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Help With My Compensation Claim?
An experienced personal injury attorney can help you through the compensation process in various ways:
- Provision of evidence. Your Fort Lauderdale motorcycle accident lawyer will professionally collect and compile evidence like medical records, medical coverage policies, repair bills, etc. to ensure you have a strong claim.
- Reliable communication with the insurance company. They're the intermediary between you and the insurance company. Your attorney can deal with them so you don't have to.
- Case valuation. An experienced attorney will look at your situation and figure out all the opportunities to recover compensation. These are things such as medical bills, lost income, and even loss of future earning capacity if your injuries will have long-term impacts on your ability to perform your job.
- Court representation. If your case ends up having to go to court, you'll have an attorney on your side to keep the insurance company in check. Plus, many attorneys work on a contingency fee basis which means they don't get paid unless they win - so they will be motivated to fight hard in court if need be.
- Plenty of time to heal. In case of severe injuries, like traumatic brain injuries, abdominal injuries, or neck injuries, you will take a longer time to heal entirely. You may experience pain and have a hard time getting around, not to mention the stress of worrying about medical bills and returning to work. Hiring an attorney to take care of your legal matters can help relieve you of the extra time and mental burden of dealing with everything that goes into a claim, so you can focus on recovery.
How Much Is an Adequate Settlement for a Motorcycle Accident?
If your motorcycle wreck was caused by someone else's negligence, you should be able to recover financial compensation. A Fort Lauderdale motorcycle accident lawyer will evaluate your case and look for areas where you can recover compensation.
The factors considered in evaluating the value of your compensation claims are:
- The extent of your injuries (a spinal cord injury, for example, is worth more than a toe injury)
- Recovery period
- Your treatment type
- Your treatment expenses
- Lost income from missing work
- Other expenses such as travel and vehicle repairs
You can also consult a Fort Lauderdale motorcycle accident lawyer for further legal advice. At VG Law we offer free case reviews, so you can see if our firm is a good fit for you.
Why Hire a Fort Lauderdale Motorcycle Accident Lawyer?
Accidents happen unexpectedly, and are always a hassle to deal with. Motorcyclists especially face many challenges with insurance companies. An experienced Fort Lauderdale motorcycle accident lawyer will take on the insurance company for you.
Contact our Florida personal injury law firm now to schedule a consultation.